Sunday, April 29, 2012

Hamlet's Madness


I believe that Hamlets madness in the play if fake, but acting mad slowly starts his descent into actual madness.  Hamlet plays out and tells Rosencrantz and Guildenstern his madness is just an act.  That he is pretending to be mad so he can get away with almost anything he wants.  One example of this when Hamlet talks to Claudius he yells and rambles on so he does not have to have a real conversation with him.  His madness lets people overlook his actions and they just so “Oh he is just mad it’s not his fault.”

Between acts II and III we start to see that Hamlets madness might not be a complete act anymore.  We start to see Hamlets “acting” insane more and more as the acts go on.  This leads us to believe that maybe it is not an act, and it is real madness.  An example of this is how Hamlet and Ophelia are not allowed to be together.  Ophelia is forbidden by her father to see, or be with Hamlet, and that plays a big deal into Hamlets madness.  After Hamlet goes into Ophelia’s sowing room, which is extremely rare for a man to go into.

Hamlet is acting insane, but he is only reacting to the events that have happened in the past two months. The death of his father, King Hamlet, has mad Hamlet depressed, but the fact that his mother, Queen Gertrude, has remarried so quickly, it leads Hamlet very confused.  The worst part of it all is that she remarries to his uncle, his father’s brother.  As the play develops, Hamlet learns that King Claudius, not only married his mother, but has murdered his father. During Act III, Hamlet has definitely reached a state of insanity. Everyone, except Horatio, is plotting against him in one way or another, and he finally confronts his mother.

Hamlet now starts to speak to Ophelia and Queen Gertrude is extremely harsh ways. Hamlet calls his mother a slut and tells her to keep it in her pants when it comes to Claudius.  He also yells and screams at Ophelia, and says she is good for nothing.  To me a sane person could never do this to two people he once cared and loved for so much.  Hamlet also shows no remorse for killing Polonius, and merely goes on and takes the body away like nothing even happened.  

Finally all this shows that Hamlet is not just acting anymore.  He is mentally unstable, and should be kept an eye on for the rest of the play.  Someone who was not insane could kill and man in cold blood, and feel absolutely nothing.  With everything Hamlet has gone through there is clear reason to believe he is insane.  I wonder how his madness will affect him against the plot that Claudius has against him.

8 comments:

JulianaV said...

I too believe that Hamlet's pretending to be mad has actually driven him insane. Everything that he does now just seems to show that he has gone mad. Even when he admits to feigning madness, to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, and to his mother, it appears that Hamlet is mad. I don't think Hamlet even realizes that he is so far gone. I agree that Hamlet killing Polonius and feeling no remorse shows how mad he has become. For me, that scene solidified that Hamlet is truly mad.

Krista~ said...

My views differ from yours, in that I think Hamlet isn't actually going mad. I think that he has taken it too far but isn't really crazy. But - I think your reasoning fits your hypothesis. The way he talks to Gertrude and Ophelia, and the fact that he shows no remorse or Polonius' death could all be signs of madness. My question is couldn't this all be because revenge has taken over his compassion and heart? Or does he need to be mad in order to act this way?

TimHegedus said...

I really like the connection you made with Gertrude and Ophelia. I didn't notice that myself until i thought about it. He loved them so deeply at one time so if he wasn't insane what would prompt him to lash out at them in such a harsh way? He may have started off faking, but I do agree with you that he soon transcended into actual madness. At what point in the play do you think we turned from faking madness to becoming it? #TeamK-Dads

Amy Clark said...

I disagree. I think Hamlet prefers to act crazy so that he can take a "creative" license with his treatment of his new parents. In a way he subconsciously wishes he were crazy because it is an easier way to criticize freely and would allow him to avoid exacting the revenge he says he wants, but cannot bring himself to carry out. That's my theory for why Hamlet lashes out at his mother. I think he truly does feel those things about her, instead of being crazy. I'm sure we've all said some ridiculous things to our parents in a heated argument or two.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you and Juliana! It's exactly my view on it as well. I feel like, while he is extremely intelligent, constantly focusing on just one thing will most likely eventually lead you to madness. I really like how you brought his treatment of the women in the play into it all as well. You made some really good connections and supported them well!

Rachael Ciccone said...

I think that Hamlet is truly insane, as I mentioned in my own blog. I like how you made a connection between Gertrude and Ophelia. It is something I have noticed without really thinking about it. Although I didn't include it in my own blog, I also agree that Hamlet showing no remorse when he kills Polonius is a clue in showing us he really is insane. The actions we see gradually become more and more natural for Hamlet, showing his mental insanity.

stw923 said...

Nice job Kevin. I agree with you that at some point, Hamlet actually does slip into madness. He feels no regret for the deaths that he personally causes and I think that a sane man would feel remorse for a senseless murder. Sure, Polonius was annoying but he didn't deserve the bloody death that Hamlet gave him. I am curious, however, as to why you chose to write this blog in 2nd person. :)

stw923 said...

From Kelli: While I don't believe Hamlet's madness to be true, I find the points you made to be logical. If Hamlet is truly descending into madness I do believe it is caused by his confusion over his aunt-mother's hasty remarriage and Ophelia's sudden absence in his life along with knowing that's he's being used and played by almost all the people he knows. Court politics could drive anyone insane, no?
I really like how you pointed out that no sane person would speak to the people he loves the way Hamlet is doing. I agree that you wouldn't thrash the people you love with words but I think Hamlet is just incredibly upset and impassioned because he knows undoubtedly that his father was murdered and his mother for all intenssive purposes is sleeping with the murdere and enjoying it. Her weakness infuriates him to the point of such harsh words. Ophelia's weakness also I believe is what drives his cruelty and crudeness toward her. It is no secret Hamlet dislikes Polonius, a power-hungry man following whoever wears the crown, and Ophelia's irrevocable following of his orders makes Hamlet angry. Ophelia standing by the side of such a leech as Polonius just is too muich for him.
I just think Hamlet's apathy is fueled by rage, not madness.