Sunday, December 11, 2011

Symbols in Chapter 1

       I believe that in the first chapter of "The Great Gatsby" there is more symbols than what meets the eye.  At first I believed it was just an normal light and had no real meaning. But, when Gatsby started to stretch his arm out as if to try and touch the light I thought that it had to symbolize something greater.  Since Gatsby has a crush on Daisy the light may symbolize his hope that she loves him back.  Also that the light will lead his way in the darkness of the night.

                                                             Kevin Kaderis

6 comments:

stw923 said...

Kevin, to begin with, make sure that you pay attention to your grammar. :)

Why do you think the light is green? What ideas/emotions are usually associated with the color green? Also,how is Gatsby looking at the light? What adjectives would you use to describe him?

JulianaV said...

At first I also didn't realize the green light has so much meaning. But it actually is a very important symbol to Gatsby because it shows his longing for Daisy.

TimHegedus said...

I love how the light is still there shining bright in a place of darkness. Gatsby still sees it, still knows its there, but knows that is far away from him, just as Daisy may be far away from his life.

Rose Marques said...

When I realized the significance of the green light is when I really started to enjoy the book. I hope the light is mentioned again. Its symbolism is very hopeful and nice. I hope Gatsby achieves his goal that the light represents.

Anonymous said...

Not that I disagree with you, Kev, but I'm having such a hard time relating my general thoughts about the color green with hope!

Krista~ said...

Hmm, I hope we see more of the green light because I think it represents more than just hope.